“Digital Content Distribution’s Brave New World: Trends & Issues” was our topic last Thursday night at the Doubletree Hotel in Santa Monica.
The first in what we hope is a series of digital media-related events for the Technology Council, this program focused on trends and opportunities in digital content distribution.
Turn-out was stronger than expected for this new topic area, with some attendees driving from Southern Orange County to get a taste of Hollywood’s business expertise.
After a networking happy hour mixer and dinner, we had an all-star panel that represented several different facets of the Los Angeles media and technology commmunity. Panelists included:
- Todd Mendeloff, Vice President, Digital Media Marketing and Distribution of Walt Disney Studios
- Richard E. Neff, Chair of the IP & Technology Dept. at the law firm of Greenberg Glusker
- Krishnan Rajagopalan, Vice President, Digital Media Technologies of Motion Picture Association of America, Inc.
- Adam Taylor, President, APM Music, joint venture of EMI Music Publishing and Universal Music Group
- Mark Kapczynski of Kontrol Media
With all that expertise it was a challenge for me as moderator to keep the discussion to only an hour. The attendees were interested to hear the panelists’ perspectives, and to share their own, on the many challenges facing the film, TV, and music industries in the digital age.